Carnegie Library, Levin
Built in 1910 with funding of £1,500 from the American philanthropist Andrew Carnegie who funded 18 libraries in New Zealand, the Carnegie Public Library was designed by Wellington-based architect James Bennie, the first of several buildings that he designed for Levin. It was located on the north-west corner of Oxford and Bath Streets. The Library moved into a new building in 1965 and the old Carnegie Library was demolished in 1969.
This watercolour of the library was painted by Peter Graham (1922-2011) and is reproduced by permission.