Frederick George ROE
Fred Roe was born in Wellington in 1859.
When he left school he worked at Wellington Mutual Investments Society. One of the directors happened to be W H Levin. From the Investment Society Fred moved to Feilding to work with his father at the Denbigh Hotel.
In 1879 he became the first Secretary of the Feilding Jockey club.
Whilst living in Feilding he was part of the Feilding Regiment. In 1881 he was part of the Manchester contingent that marched on Parihaka. Following his involvement at Parihaka he returned to Feilding and joined P & J Bartholomew Sawmillers.
In 1888 he moved to Levin to manage the new sawmill of Messrs Dunn & Bartholomew on the Roslyn Rd corner.
After settlers started to arrive, the mill operated as a community and service centre with Fred involved in ordering goods from Wellington and on-selling to millhands, railway workers and settlers. He also became the first (de facto) Levin postmaster.
Realising that the accommodation and refreshment needs of visitors was a business opportunity, in 1890 Fred and brother Charles purchased six sections on the south-west corner of Queen and Oxford Streets. There they had built the first Levin Hotel. They on-sold it to James McCormick in 1891.
Fred continued pursuing business interests and in 1896 he took over the Weraroa Hotel, however he relinquished the licence in 1897.
After the tree felling days were over, Fred took to farming. Some of his land was in Hokio Beach Rd where he built the family home.
Fred was nearly 47 when he married Millie Newton. They had five children.
Fred had a long history of community activity. Levin Borough Council, Levin Racing club, Horowhenua A & P Assn, Levin District High School committee, Levin Druids Lodge, Horowhenua Masonic Lodge, Mangahao Masonic Lodge, Levin Club, Levin Tennis club. He was awarded Life membership of both the Levin Racing Club and Levin Club.
He was a Justice of the Peace for 40 years.
Fred died in 1944 at the age of 85. Millie lived until 1962.
The Roe family